A Swindon family could have been killed in a house fire last night, but they were saved by the sound of their working smoke alarms.
Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service was called to a family home on Crombey Street at 1.54am, with two crews from Swindon fire station being mobilised.
The fire was located in the ground floor kitchen, having started when cooking was left unattended. The smoke triggered the property’s smoke alarm, allowing the five occupants to escape without injury – four children were rescued by firefighters.
Seth Why, Head of Fire Safety for Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “The attending crews reported that the house had working battery operated smoke detectors, which activated and raised the alarm. There was already a lot of smoke from the fire and that could have been a serious risk to life had the family not been woken up.”
He added: “Crews safely extinguished the fire wearing breathing apparatus and using hosereel jets, while ventilation fans were used to clear the house of smoke. Although this fire was relatively small, there was still a real danger to the occupants because of the smoke. Leaving cooking unattended is never a good idea, as it can easily escalate to a fire, so we would remind people to not get distracted and take care while in the kitchen.”
Evidence shows that you are more than twice as likely to die in a fire at home if you haven’t got a working smoke alarm.
Smoke alarms are the easiest way to alert you to the danger of fire, giving you precious time to escape. They are cheap, easy to get hold of, and simple to install.
Don't miss out on breaking local 999 news - follow us on Facebook now: