People are setting off fireworks near to a major gas leak in Swindon this evening.
Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service issued a plea to local residents to stop using fireworks in the vicinity of Oxford Road due to the risk of an explosion.
“We are asking people in the local area to please NOT set off any more fireworks at the moment as this poses a huge risk to members of the public and our crews”, a spokesperson said.
Fire crews, alongside police and gas engineers, were called to the scene earlier today. The road was closed whilst work is undertaken to rectify the leak.
The cordon is expected to remain in place until around midnight.
Click here to join our WhatsApp Channel and get breaking news sent directly to your mobile – don’t forget to turn on notifications by clicking the bell icon.
Click a topic to read more stories like this: