A popular lake in West Wiltshire has been closed after blue-green algae was seen in the water.
Shearwater, a man-made freshwater lake near Warminster, has been shut to the public in recent days after the sighting and it is not clear when it will reopened.
The Environment Agency advises keeping pets and children away from affected water and avoiding contact with skin. People who come into contact with water containing blue-green algae should shower with fresh water immediately and, if they become ill, seek medical attention.
Harris Hill and Gibbons Vets warned their customers through their Facebook page yesterday, stating: “We have been alerted to the fact that Shearwater lake, a popular dog walking location near Warminster, is currently closed due to the presence of blue-green algae.
“Blue green algae blooms may appear as green or greenish-brown scum on the surface of water and can contain toxins that can be harmful for animals if ingested, even in small quantities.
“Dogs can swallow this algae by drinking water from an affected lake, river or pond or while licking their fur after going for a swim.
“Symptoms of exposure can appear within a few minutes or hours, depending on the type of toxin ingested, and commonly include: vomiting, diarrhoea, drooling, disorientation, trouble breathing, seizures and blood in faeces. If left untreated, it can cause liver damage and ultimately be rapidly fatal.”
Don't miss out on breaking local 999 news - follow us on Facebook now: