Three fire crews were called to a fire at a block of sheltered housing flats in Swindon tonight.
All three emergency services – two police units and an ambulance – attended the scene at around 7pm, after fire alarms alerted Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service to the incident.
On arrival, firefighters found a small chip-pan fire and large amounts of smoke in the kitchen of an upstairs flat at Laurel Court, off Clays Close, Stratton.
One elderly patient has been taken to hospital as a precaution.
A spokesperson for the fire service at the scene told Wiltshire 999s that this is a great example of why everybody needs working smoke detectors in their homes.
Don't miss out on breaking local 999 news - follow us on Facebook now: