Firefighters from across Wiltshire were called to a fire at a thatched cottage this morning.
Seven fire crews from as far away as Salisbury were called to the chimney fire in Marden, near Devizes, during the early hours of Saturday, 28 December.
Some firefighters traveled more than 20 miles to attend the blaze, with crews from Pewsey, Devizes, Salisbury, Melksham, Ludgershall, Marlborough, Amesbury attending.
The large number of crews were sent to the scene due to the roof being a thatch.
A fire spokesperson said: “The counties of Dorset and Wiltshire have thousands of thatched homes – although there is no increased risk of fire within thatched properties, the impact of a fire is far greater.
“Thatch fires are typically attended by in excess of 50 firefighters, at least eight appliances and often for over 24 hours.”
A range of fire prevention tips can be found in our free downloadable advice leaflet from Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service here: Your Thatched Home.
Don't miss out on breaking local 999 news - follow us on Facebook now: