Many dogs have died after ingesting the bacteria, which can also prove fatal to humans.
Last week, Wiltshire 999s reported warnings issued by the Cotswold Water Park Trust over blue-green algae found in a number of lakes on the North Wiltshire-Gloucestershire border.
A Blue Cross spokesperson said: “Blooms of blue-green algae can produce harmful toxins which stop a dog’s liver from functioning properly. However, not all types of blue-green algae are dangerous.
Click here to join our WhatsApp Channel and get breaking news sent directly to your mobile – don’t forget to turn on notifications by clicking the bell icon.
Click a topic to read more stories like this: