Four fire crews responded to reports of a large fire near Swindon, only to discover a bonfire.
This morning, fire engines were sent to a blaze on Ham Road, Wanborough, at around midday. However, arriving at the scene, they found a six-metre high controlled burn on a building site.
Smoke from the fire could be seen from Great Western Hospital, sparking calls to 999.
Speaking to Wiltshire 999s today, Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service is reminding anyone who’s having any kind of controlled burn – even if it’s a small bonfire in a garden – to inform them beforehand to avoid an unnecessary emergency response.
If you are going to have a bonfire, or any other type of controlled burn, that will be visible to passers-by, you can let fire control know by calling 0306 799 0019, or you can contact the them online.
Just hours later, at just before 3pm, firefighters were called out to another false alarm caused by a controlled burn in the Cheney Manor Road area of Swindon.
Don't miss out on breaking local 999 news - follow us on Facebook now: